It is a type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid. Slowly & Slowly being spread in different nations across the globe.
Finally this so called Ransomware attacks in various parts of India.
Here are the latest developments in this story:
- “The computers (at the panchayat in Kerala’s Waynand) were using pirated version of Microsoft. They have been isolated and shut down. No sensitive information lost,” said Manoj Abraham, a senior police officer in charge of Kerala’s cyber security. “We have a specific Ransomeware school in cyberdome, which has been dealing specifically with such threats,” he added.
- While the computers have been shut down and isolated, the power utility runs the risk of having more of its computers affected. Reports say computers in the power utility at Balurghat in Bengal’s South Dinajpur have also been affected.
- Union minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said the government has been updating its security system since March. “We are installing patch system to stonewall any cyber attack. We are also going to set up cyber coordination centre by June,” he added.
- Over the weekend, more than 100 systems of the Andhra Pradesh police department were affected by the WannaCry virus.
- India’s cyber security unit CERT-In said it has not received any formal report of cyber-attack today on India’s vital networks.
- The Reserve Bank of India has asked banks to follow the instructions of government organisation CERT-In to prevent ‘WannaCry‘ attacks. Automated Teller Machines or ATMs are highly vulnerable to malware attacks. Most of the 2.2 lakh ATMS in India run on the old version of Microsoft’s Windows operating system.
- Central transmission utility Power Grid today said it has put sufficient firewalls to deal with the global cyber-attack.
- Ransomware is a malicious software that locks a connected device, such as a computer, tablet or smartphone and then demands a ransom to unlock it. Over the last week, it has hit various IT networks in over 150 nations – the worst hit being UK, where computers of the National Healthcare System were compromised.
- WannaCry can infect all computers in a network and systems running on Microsoft XP are particularly vulnerable since the company has not issued updates for some time. After the cyber attack, Microsoft has issued a patch for Windows XP that needs to installed for protection from WannaCry.